08 June 2009

Progress check

Back when I started writing Entropy, I would back up the files periodically and note down various statistics, including word count. When I came to the point where I said "Okay, this is the rough draft. I'm going to start editing." I had sixteen thousand words and change, all in a single document file.

Since then, I've made separate files for the chapters and I've done a lot of editing. I've taken bits out and put new material in. I got curious about word-count again, since I had, foolishly, not done any backing-up since I made it all into a single file at the end of March.

Today, I took my trusty calculator and I did some math. I am now up to 21,964 words! (And, really, I expect to add more. I'm only halfway through editing what I have written. I have a lot of other stuff planned out but not typed up, too. It's not like the end of the story is the same as the end of my typed material.)

I've added nearly six thousand words, all through the power of editing! That's roughly twelve pages, assuming 500 words a page. (The whole story is about 44 pages long right now.) That makes this story one of the longest ones I've ever written. I tend to cop out after twenty pages or so.

I feel disgustingly accomplished....but I don't really feel satisfied. I know I still have a long way to go with it!

I'm going to work more on chapter nine tomorrow. I haven't really done anything with it except brood over the changes I'm feeling compelled to make. I looked at it again tonight, but I'm just too tired to write anything, and I know that when I'm this tired I make a lot of stupid mistakes...which I would therefore have to correct in the morning. Working right now is counterproductive.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment