06 June 2009

Chapter 8-- later tonight!

I've gotten chapter eight to a nice stopping point. I like it when I can kind of make chapters be self-contained. Not to say that I'm making a story arc and connecting a bunch of one-shots together. These are definitely chapters in the same, continuous story. I just like that this one didn't have a protracted beginning that lapped over terribly from chapter seven and a sloppy connect to chapter nine. I hate it when I can't figure out good breaks between chapters.

I'm going to take a break--maybe eat some dinner, yeah?--and do some further editing in an hour or two. Chapter eight grew to a good four pages when I wasn't looking. But, the good news is that, with the exception of the very newest addition to it, it has all been edited at least once already.

By the time anything gets put up here, I've already combed through it two or three times. When I read a chapter over, I kind of do continuous spot-editing. I just need to look it all over in general, and pay particular attention to the latest bits I've put in. The temptation is, of course, to edit and edit until it's completely different from what I have just finished. I try to cut myself off after three total edits.

Anyway, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment