20 May 2009

Climbing ever onward!

I took a look at chapter six, and I'm dismayed at how much work it is going to need. What I had originally written in for it isn't going to mesh well with what I've rewritten for the story so far. Not only am I going to have to redo a bunch of stuff, but I'm probably going to end up cutting parts out entirely and putting new things in instead.

Also, I'm making the (kind of) tough choice to rework a necessary flashback so that it won't be a flashback any more. (It's really hard to fiddle with time-stuff in writing. Really hard.) But, I feel the reworked scene will have more impact, besides its helping to streamline the chronology of the story. I'm discovering that this story jumps around a lot, which was not what I'd intended. It's really, really hard to make sure I haven't doubled back to, doubled up on, or skipped over something.

This story is turning out different from what I'd expected, I think. Well. That's not strictly accurate. It both is and is not working out like I'd imagined. Somehow I've managed to broaden the scope and narrow the focus at the same time. (But I think it'll end up pretty awesome in the end...)

I'm going to try to get chapter six done by the end of the holiday weekend; I'm actually away from home, but I want to try to keep to my work schedule. It's supposed to be really hot the next couple of days. I expect to be singularly unproductive then. However, I can try and make up for it afterward...

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment