26 February 2009

A brief update on the never-ending story

My brains have been pretty much taken over by the epic story of epic-ness. I've been working for about a month now on this piece, and it's a fanwork. (I just had a Freudian typo, calling the piece a wanker.)

Anyway, despite all my brains being focused on this story, I find myself kind of struggling to continue with it. It's not an issue of plot. I know what's going to happen, and more or less when. My problem right now is that I'm slogging my way through filling in gaps. I have major events A, B, and C. (These letters are stand-ins for the actual long and complicated explanations of events...as if you couldn't tell.) I've written the events themselves. It's just hard to wade through all the stuff that happens between A and B and B and C. I even have a little bit of post-C stuff written.

I'm impatient because I want to get to event C already! I want to catch up to the present, which is C, as far as the story goes. At one point C was the distant and nebulous future...and now that it's here, I want to be able to lay A and B to rest.

I've been writing event C separately from the rest of the story. I've got nearly 3000 words in C and nearly 19 size-ten single-spaced pages of the rest...that's just under 12500 words! I'm a little overwhelmed, I guess? It's weird feeling overwhelmed by something I'm enjoying and accomplishing so much in. Usually I'm overwhelmed by the nefarious non-accomplishment of achieving nothing--I am blown away and intimidated by the idea of future successes. (I swear, I'll stop using the same two words over and over again sometime soon.)

Besides the catchup game, there's also the part where 90% of those 19 pages are pure narrative. I'm going to have to go back AGAIN and flesh it out with dialogue and sensory details and much more awesome language. Basically, I've got 19 pages of really detailed ideas that are all connected and form the framework of a story. (This is part of why it's so easy--and so difficult--to go back and work through empty spots in the story that should not be empty. Yes, there are some deliberate gaps, but there are a couple major places that have to get fixed.)

I had to go through the same process with part C so that it would be ready for a couple people to read it over. The detail-work alone doubled what I'd had to start with. Thankfully, I didn't need to do much dialogue as I'd already included it.

Ugh. No wonder my brain made me spell wanker instead of fanwork. Must go be a zombie-fied writer now. @___@

2 comments:

  1. Do you need any help filling in the in-between-ness? Or do you know what to write, but it's just a pain to do so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I pretty much know what I'm going to be writing, and it is a major pain. ^_^

    ReplyDelete